Red Dot Optics.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by AgentPickle, Mar 27, 2024.

Tags:
?
  1. Red Dot

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. LPVO

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Just irons.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Kentucky windage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AgentPickle

AgentPickle Monkey

Outside of iron sights and backup irons, what are some of your favorite red dot optics? Here is my personal choice and review of the Sig Sauer Romeo 5. The Romeo 5 is budget friendly and reliable. Also it pairs nicely with magnifiers.

VisuTrac likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Old eyes don't do well with iron sights nor often with optics. At distances that I can reasonably expect to be able to use a weapon, a dot is most likely the quickest and most probable to give usable results. Allows me to keep up on things with distance glasses, which render iron sights difficult to use.

3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I prefer not having to rely on a battery. Murphy tends to show up when least desired ;)

A scope is ok, but around here it is a vine catcher...and our vines can have 2-3 inch long needles on them.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A good aperture sight is as accurate as a scope up to 100 yards, in my experience. Assuming the shooter has good eyes, of course! Give me a good peep sight.

AgentPickle and techsar like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I have run it. works well un-magnified and like the shake to wake function.
    Is it the best optic probably not. but after 5 years it still does it's job and only used one set of batteries.
    I think I prefer the smaller foot print of a reflex sight like the Trijicon RMR or maybe even a Holosun but those might be better suited to pistols or maybe a shotgun.
    I ran an old aimpoint red dot long long ago when I used to shoot bullseye. Today's tech is way better than back in the late 80s

AgentPickle and techsar like this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I still use an old Armson OEG. Love it.

AgentPickle likes this.
  7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

4x4, Yard Dart, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  8. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

AgentPickle likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

M68cco.
    Aimpoint M68 (Comp M2) and backup irons.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I use what always worked for me in the 20 years i did it for a living, the Awesome ACOG!
    Never failed me, always ready to go, no batteries to fail, light, fast and handy, lightning quick on target, and ACCURATE! If you find a better optic, it won't be as good as these!
    [​IMG]

Zimmy, 4x4, Yard Dart and 6 others like this.
  11. 4x4

4x4 In the Basket of Deplorables

I'm a big fan of the ACOG. They are not cheap but you will get what you pay for. Very simple to sight in and maintains that zero through a lot of abuse and climate exposure. The entire sight is built with precision and ruggedness. Very simple to use with no adjustments after that. No on, off buttons. No brightness or magnification settings. The other nice part is you don't have to worry about your batteries going south on you. The company stands by their product with fantastic customer support.

Seawolf1090, Ura-Ki and VisuTrac like this.
  12. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I have a Red dot but was reading something about using an IR light with it. It seems like a poor man's night vision setup. Like a laser it tends to give you away also. Otherwise, it's a few offroad lights I can turn on.

13. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Sorry for the late response. Yes, these contain Tritium, the same stuff used in night sights for pistols. Will be doing a rang report next week on the ACOG.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I practice shooting from the hip.
    On the rifle I use a scope.
    This for 2 reasons.
    1. red dots can't be seen at a distance during the day.
    2. red dots indicate a shooter in the dark.
    Learning to shoot from the hip allows me to take the shot with out raising the gun to see sights. and I don't need to see the sights to know where the bullet is going.
    Life and death can be a matter of 1/10th of a second.
    I'm not great, but I'm not bad either.
    I practice shooting at steel bean cans and aluminum soda cans.
    This picture always changes by what's facing you and distance,

Zimmy likes this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think you may be confusing red dots with lasers.
    Red dots don't actually project a beam. It projects a dot on a lens / screen in the optic that the shooter sees superimposed on the target. No beam to be seen outside of the optic.

Zimmy likes this.
  16. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

RC, looking forward to your report! Saw your old M16A2 targets in the albums section recently, and added them to the list to work thru with Crafty Jr this summer. He thought the ACOG was amazingly easy to hit 8" steel targets at 200 yards.

VisuTrac, Zimmy and Brokor like this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I see green dots much better. My color vision ain't great.

VisuTrac likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Dunerunner
  10. BenP
  11. Oddcaliber