Bayonets? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by AgentPickle, Mar 26, 2024.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. AgentPickle

AgentPickle Monkey

Bandit99, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

How else will we keep the grass green?

AgentPickle, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

For those weapons designed to take a Bayonet, Absolutely!
    M-1 Garand, Winchester 97 Shotgun, M-1903 Springfield, Mauser 98, absolutely!
    Unless you have training on using your bayonet, your likely going to struggle, but the mere threat of a Fixed Bayonet might just be enough! I have a small collection of the M-1905 and M-1919 series Bayonets, and they are absolutely vicious, especially on the 97 Shotgun, I wouldn't mess with someone armed with such, that's why I also carry an M-1911, cause why bring a knife to a gun fight! [LMAO]

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Bayonet drill is a bitch, especially when practiced with an 1853 Enfield rifle. However, with more modern weapons a bayonet is just another tool in the toolbox, it can be a knife, tool, or a bayonet, or you can just grab the rifle by the barrel and swing away!

AgentPickle, Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Can't say I haven't had one on a weapon since basic. They do make a good knife though and my MN shoot better with it on . It's not really a knife though.

AgentPickle and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The bayonet does one thing well when attached to a rifle, and does other stabbing, cutting, slicing and dicing tasks adequately, but not optimally, better done by other types of bladed tools.

Back in the day, when armed with 7.62mm L1A1 SLRs,

upload_2024-3-27_14-53-47.

at an annual range practice at the, I ordered a detail to fix bayonets, and fire a serial with bayonets mounted....some of the ARA Cadre (Australian regular Army) looked somewhat askance, but the soldiery got the message that the balance and feel of firing with a bayonet is slightly different...better to be aware of that difference in training than discovering it first time at the two way firing range.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I never really thought about it much...seems like if you had a rifle that was truly design for it then it would definitely be a great accessory, definitely a deterrent in some cases, like prisoner guarding,... Most cases though, I think an AR with a bayonet wouldn't be worth it...

Ura-Ki and AgentPickle like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you can't afford a rifle silencer a bayonet is pretty quiet.

Bandit99 and AgentPickle like this.
  9. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I'm a yes and a no
    Last ditch yes
    Bayonet vs Field Knife no I'll take the knife option
    Both ok by me

Ura-Ki and AgentPickle like this.
  10. AgentPickle

AgentPickle Monkey

Wow 100% on votes for pro bayonets! You all are definitely my type of people!

Zimmy likes this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

"Nothing separates the men from the boys faster than a foot of cold steel advancing at belly level across a field!"

AgentPickle and Zimmy like this.
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

One of the most decisive moves during the 2nd day of battle, at Gettysburg, was a bayonet charge performed by the 20th Maine against, I believe, Confederate troops from Alabama. The Maine regiment was in danger of being flanked, and their colonel ordered the bayonet charge. Needless to say, it was quite effective, and prevented the Union Army from being flanked that day.

Zimmy likes this.
  13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, it was the 4th Alabama Infantry and others that were attacking up the side of Little Round Top and the 20th Maine was out of ammunition! I was an extra in the movie "Gettysburg" and while I wasn't with the Alabama troops on Little Round Top, I did follow General Armistead across the field in Pickett's Charge.

Seawolf1090 and Zimmy like this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Bayonet charges aren't ancient history. In WW2, the Americans, British, Russians, and especially the Japanese, used the bayonet when needed. In Korea, the Americans took Hill 180 (aka Bayonet Hill) with cold steel. In Vietnam, the Americans and Australians fixed bayonets. The Brits have used the bayonet in the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. Sometimes a 300-year-old weapon is just what's needed to put the fear of GOD into the enemy!

Zimmy and Seawolf1090 like this.
  15. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Have bayonets for all my military rifles that have lugs for them.

Zimmy likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like bayonets because they make rifles look skeery to the lefties, like a knife somehow makes a rifle more deadly. Heads explode and somehow a bayonet lug on an AR makes it a weapon of mass destruction.

If I had a rifle that was designed for a bayonet I'd probably get one just to have the complete kit.

And then there is always this
    upload_2024-3-29_16-24-50.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Pass. I much prefer a decent knife over an inadequate one. Unless there are Zombies. Most modern firearms (M4 etc) make a poor platform for bayonet drill anyway.

3M-TA3, Zimmy, Kamp Krap and 3 others like this.
  19. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

M14 but if you used a butt stroke hard enough, your magazine left the rifle. M1 was a much better platform AND you could get it with a much longer bayonet

CraftyMofo and Zimmy like this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I have the long bayonet on my Garand. I think it was a early 1903 Springfield issue.

chelloveck and CraftyMofo like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Dunerunner
  10. BenP
  11. Oddcaliber